Friday, September 18, 2009

Quickies!

Hey everyone! It's been a busy week and will probably be an even busier weekend! My husband's parents arrive this afternoon from Scotland to spend a couple of weeks in California. We are all very excited (luckily my in-laws are super great!) but that does mean that the few odd jobs we hadn't finished when we moved in needed to get done this week.

And I cleaned the twins room. Scary!

Between the cleaning and a few touch ups that needed finishing, I also had a couple of meals to deliver (one more still this weekend to the new neighbors across the street!) and super-nutrient rich snacks to bake (so there's something in the cupboard for Mum and Dad if they wake up hungry--jet lag sucks!) and our bento boxes arrived (yay!) so I've been having fun with those.

Whew! No wonder I'm sleepy at 9:45 a.m.!

Anyway, my neighbor sent me this first recipe after I requested it when she served these "cookies" during a party at her house. These things are amazing! Trust me, if your kids like Goldfish crackers, they will LOVE these! (I'm not sure where she got this recipe but, when I find out, I'll credit the maker.)

Cheese Cookies

2 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 C. Margarine
1 C. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the ingredients, blending together with fork or pastry blender. Roll into one inch balls. Place on a cookie sheet an inch or so apart. Bake 12-15 minutes. Makes about 50 cookies.

These were super yummy! I think that I will try to make them with butter and see what happens. I think they'd also be really great if you added 1/2 tsp. each of garlic powder and dried parsley flakes.

It's September so, for me, it's time to start making soup. Sometimes that means soup in ten minutes and I'm loathe to serve up condensed so here's a go to recipe that takes almost no time to prepare and it's a favorite in our house! I think this one came from Real Simple magazine YEARS ago but I can find the original article.

Easy French Onion Soup

Good quality beef broth
Dry sherry
French's Fried Onions
Baguette, sliced thick and toasted
One clove of garlic, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
Sliced Swiss or Gruyere cheese

Rub cut side of garlic all over the toasted baguette. Discard garlic.

Put a handful of onions in the bottom of each oven safe bowl. Fill bowls halfway with broth and add a tablespoon of sherry to each.

Top with baguettes and cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and the soup is hot.

Easy, right? I like this one with a bit of roast beef from the deli, a tomato salad and tea. It's great, too, because you can make this for yourself if you are dining alone or for a group of people. Just be sure you use good ingredients! I like the Trader Joe's beef broth but, whatever you use, make sure you like the flavor and watch that salt content.

Okay, we've had our meal, what about dessert? If you like chocolate, you're gonna love this one from Nigella Lawson!

Super Easy Pistachio Fudge

1 bag chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. butter
1 C. pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped.

Melt the chocolate chips and mix with the milk and butter. Stir in pistachios.

Pour into and 8x8 inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Allow to cool then refrigerate until firm.

Cut into 1 inch squares for packaging or store in the fridge.

I LOVE this recipe, especially with roasted and salted pistachios. The sweet from the chocolate and the salty from the nuts makes this fudge irresistible!


So, there you have it! Three easy, quick recipes that you can make in no time and totally impress your friends and family!

Also, no sewing this week since I am getting ready for guests but I do have a tip for you. The boxes that Capri Sun juice pouches come in are too sturdy to waste! They also happen to be the perfect size for sorting your spices or as separators in your kitchen utensil drawers! Simple empty the box and cut in half lengthwise. There is a crease in the cardboard that you can follow. Use packing tape to secure the ends that you opened to get the pouches out and, voila! perfect storage for spice bottles, medicine bottles, baking ingredients, chip bags, forks and spoons and whatever else you can think of!

I'll add more when I get the chance but...

Until tomorrow, enjoy today!

Love from Sarah

1 comment:

  1. What cheese can I use instead of the cheddar if I don't have it available?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete